Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash. – Matthew 7: 24-27
You have probably heard the old children’s Bible song that speaks about what happens when we build our lives on the teachings of Jesus, and when we are foolish and build something without a strong foundation.
A foundation built on the teachings of Jesus guarantees that what we build will not fall apart when hard circumstances come against it.
There has not been blog activity on this site for a while now. This is because Vista has been going through some restructuring. The purpose of this restructure was to assure we were building Parent Equipping and Kids Community upon Vista’s original foundational values. Values that we believe come from the teachings of Jesus. You can find Pastor Mike Smith’s write up of these values here: KCPlaybook_2012
We asked tough questions and made significant changes to ensure our goals rested on this strong foundation, including these Vista-value elements:
- A training ground for Vista families to disciple their children
- A mission field for Vista members to disciple the future leaders of the church
- A classroom utilizing age appropriate Biblical teaching by believers among us
- A support network for all families seeking community and encouragement
2013 will continue to bring changes including these specific offerings:
- A Gospel-based curriculum with a focus on missional living for each age group
- A clear and consistent classroom management structure across each age group
- A multi-generational volunteer base that includes everyone serving once a quarter
- A structure of support, encouragement and training for parents, staff and volunteers
So many at Vista have answered the call to advise, teach, coordinate and coach during this restructure. So many have taken ownership in areas that need their gifting. We are humbly grateful to God and His work among us as we continue to build Kids Community and Parent Equipping together as a church family. See our end of the year letter here: 2012 End of year volunteer letter. We are assured that hard circumstances that develop will not destroy what we are building with His blessing and for His glory.
What are your questions? Do you have feedback for us on these foundational elements? We welcome conversation and the sharing of ideas. If you’d like to inquire about teaching or coordinating, please e-mail me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to this next season of values-rich, biblically-based offerings for parent equipping and children’s discipleship. Join us!